Beacon Law Staff Attorney
The Staff Attorney will oversee regular legal intake at area homeless shelters where they will provide legal counsel, advice, and representation to low-income individuals facing eviction, termination of public benefits, family law, ID restoration and immigration issues, among other things.
The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities will include case management, litigation and advocacy on behalf of individual clients. Essential duties and responsibilities include: client case triage and interviewing in homeless shelter setting, negotiations with opposing counsel, discovery, motions, etc. In addition to carrying their own caseload, the Staff Attorney will work with volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono advocacy and legal services.
The successful candidate must have excellent writing, advocacy, communication and organizational skills. Beacon Law seeks an attorney with a proven ability to think strategically and creatively about legal procedure and litigation and one that possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for our clients.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter that responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. The ability to take initiative and work independently is critical to this position. The successful candidate will have a commitment to providing access to justice to those less fortunate.
• Ability to plan and manage own work
• Proven ability to solve problems independently and creatively
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations
• Strong writing and analytical skills
• Strong leadership skills and ability to supervise teams of volunteers
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit
• Spanish speaking preferred but not required
• Some experience working or volunteering with the homeless preferred but not required.
Beacon Law is accepting applications for the position of Staff Attorney at the Houston Texas office. Applicants must submit a cover letter, résumé, and two professional references by email to email@example.com. Applicants will be considered on an incoming basis. Starting Salary of $45,000 plus excellent benefits.